North Shore Chamber 2017 Annual HR Employment and Labor Law Update
January 27, 2017 - 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM - North Shore Chamber Boardroom
New 2017 Laws Affecting Massachusetts Employers: An Overview of Important Legal Decisions and Legislative Changes
Presented by Sara Goldsmith Schwartz
This presentation reviews an eventful year for HR professionals and previews some changes that employers might expect in the coming year, especially with the incoming presidential administration. We will begin with a discussion of 2016’s most important developments in federal, Massachusetts and multi-state labor, and employment law, including:
- Developments in federal anti-discrimination litigation and enforcement priorities, including an analysis of recent EEOC guidance concerning retaliation and national origin discrimination
- Wage and Hour issues including state and local minimum wage increases and the status of the FLSA final overtime rule
- New OSHA and EEOC reporting guidelines
- Developments related to the Massachusetts Pay Equity Law
- Proposed reforms to Massachusetts law governing non-competition agreements
- Implications of the recent legalization of medical and recreational marijuana
- The recently adopted “Bathroom Bill,” and what it means for employers
We will also discuss current best practices for conducting background checks, developments in the drafting of workplace policies governing bullying and the use of social media.
Finally, we will look ahead to 2017 and beyond, analyzing how the election results might impact issues such as the role of the NLRB, minimum wage reform and parental leave.
Click Here to Register or call the North Shore Chamber at (978) 774-8565.