Accommodating Applicants And Students With Disabilities
February 01, 2016 - 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM - SHPC Webinar
In this lively webinar, Sara Schwartz will discuss the best practices for interacting with students and applicants who may be disabled. We will use real-world scenarios to demonstrate the practical impact of the law on the admissions process, the classroom experience and beyond.
We will explore many questions, including: What constitutes a disability under the law? What are the best practices in admissions documentation? When is the school required to accommodate students? What are the limitations on the required accommodations? For example, does the school have to accommodate a student who is disruptive in the classroom?
Topics Will Include:
- An Overview Of The Americans With Disabilities Act (the “ADA”)
- The ADA’s Application To Independent Schools
- Reasonable Accommodations Requirements Of The ADA
- Best Practices For Schools To Ensure Compliance With The ADA
- Policies For Inclusion In The Student Handbook
Who Should Attend?
- Head Of School
- Assistant Head Of School
- Chief Financial Officer
- Head Of Upper School
- Business Manager
- Head Of Lower School
- Director Of Human Resources
- Dean Of Students
- Director Of Admissions
- Dean Of Faculty