Veteran Employees And Compliance Under USERRA
June 12, 2018 - 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM - Schwartz Hannum PC - Andover, MA
An employer has many legal obligations to employees and applicants who are members of the military, beginning when a job candidate submits an application and extending through the entire period of employment. These legal obligations affect hiring, retention, discipline, discharge, benefits, and all other human resources functions.
The federal Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (“USERRA”), which applies to all public and private employers in the United States, regardless of size, establishes the rights and responsibilities for uniformed service members and their civilian employees. In addition to USERRA, various federal and state laws may come into play when managing employees who are members of the military, depending on the circumstances.
Presented by SHPC attorney Kirsten B. White, this interactive seminar will explore an overview of USERRA and how to maintain and administer a compliant military leave policy.
Of Counsel Kirsten B. White has a robust labor-management relations practice, advising clients on all aspects of managing a union-represented workforce. Prior to joining Schwartz Hannum PC, Kirsten practiced labor law in the Washington, DC and Boston offices of a large global law firm for several years, counseling employers in a cross-section of industries. From 2009 to 2013, Kirsten served in the Office of the Vice President of the United States, as Policy Director to second lady Dr. Jill Biden.
Topics will include:
- Rights Of Applicants Based On Military Status Or Activity
- What Is Considered Discrimination Or Retaliation Under USERRA
- Implementing Or Updating A Compliant Military Leave Policy
- Requests For Military Leave And The FMLA
- Obligations To Employees On Military Leave
- Preparing For Reemployment
- Federal vs. State Laws, And Ensuring Compliance With All Laws
- Designing And Implementing An Effective Veteran Hiring Program
Who should attend?
- Human Resources Professionals
- Diversity Officers