VAIS (Virginia Association of Independent Schools)
Jepson Alumni Center
University of Richmond
28 Westhampton Way
Richmond, VA 23173
On January 15, 2014, Sara Goldsmith Schwartz and William E. Hannum III will present at the VAIS Conference on the following topic: Hiring Tips and Traps, Faculty Employment Agreements, Performance Management, and Discipline and Discharge: A Deep Dive For Academic Administrators.
Every day, academic administrators confront challenging situations around faculty hiring, evaluation, discipline and termination. This interactive workshop will provide academic administrators with the legal foundation, as well as tips, traps and best practices, for responding to and resolving the legal issues encountered in the employment context.
Topics will include:
- Hiring Tips and Traps
- Essential Components Of A Job Description
- The Employment Application Form: Dos, Must Dos and Don’ts
- Interviewing And Selecting Candidates: What You Can And Cannot Ask
- Carefully Conveying The Offer And A Rejection
- Faculty Employment Agreements
- At-Will Employment Or Contract?
- Compensation, Responsibilities And Other Key Terms
- Termination “For Cause” And “Not For Cause”
- Performance Management
- Methods And Tools To Establish And Document Goals
- Choosing An Effective Performance Evaluation Methodology
- Providing Constructive Feedback
- Discipline And Discharge
- Discipline Processes
- Record Keeping And Documentation
- The Discharge Process
This lively program will use real-world examples from the Firm’s experience and research. In addition, Sara and Will use interactive tools, interwoven into the presentations, such as scripted questions and “hypotheticals” for discussion purposes, to offer attendees an opportunity to participate in the presentation and to maximize their learning experience.
For more information about the Virginia Association of Independent Schools and this event, please click here.